02.24.16 Pacha’s Pajamas Teaches How Imagination Can Save The Environment
04.22.15 Kid-Friendly Videos Celebrate The Largest Global Tree Planting In History!
11.13.14 The Future of Bedtime: Interactive Pajamas
07.18.14 Imagination Heals Launches “We Are ALL Connected” Global Youth Initiative
11.07.13 Local New Yorkers Collaborate on Award Winning Philanthropic Musical
10.15.13 Award-Winning Children’s Pop Musical “Pacha’s Pajamas”
08.15.13 Pacha’s Pajamas is the People’s Choice for Best Children’s Music
02.26.13 Launch of Imagination Heals that helps U.S. Children’s Hospitals
02.05.13 Launch Children’s Hospital Transformative Program “Imagination Heals”
11.11.11 Rap Stars Mos Def and Talib Kweli Bring Their Voices to Environmental Hip Hop
10.13.11 Hip-Hop Musical With An Environmental Twist At 2011 Bioneers Conference
07.15.11 Pacha’s Pajamas eBook Debuts to Combat Nature Deficit Disorder in Children
06.23.11 Pacha’s Pajamas eBook Debuts in Support of Nature’s Rights Initiative
A BRIEF HISTORY
BALANCE Edutainment was founded on February 1st, 2011 to produce nutritious children’s entertainment that kids love and parents can feel good about, starting with a children’s story by co-founder Aaron Ableman, that is now called “Pacha’s Pajamas.” In September 2012, BALANCE released the Vol. 1 soundtrack for award consideration only.
The Vol. 1 album features 55 artists spanning four generations including Cheech Marin (The Lion King, Cars), Yasiin Bey aka Mos Def (Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Yo Gabba Gabba!, Dexter, Cadillac Records), Lester Chambers (The Chamber Brothers, Time Has Come Today), Talib Kweli, Majora Carter (Peabody Award Winner), the Agape Youth Choir and 10 young artist. The album was awarded Parent’s Choice Recommended and the People’s Choice for Best Children’s Album in the 12th Annual Independent Music Awards. More than 10,000 copies of the Pacha’s Pajamas album were distributed to children’s hospitals throughout the United States in 2013.
BALANCE’s first full release was the Pacha’s Pajamas: A Story Written By Nature Vol. 1 & 2 double album (11/5/13). The double album, which added the Grammy-Nominated duo Les Nubians, Rev. Michael Bernard Beckwith of Agape International Spiritual Center, Bill McKibben of global environmental organization 350.org and ten more young artists, was one of the most honored CDs of 2013, receiving First Place in Songwriting for the 3rd annual Eco Arts Award, Family Choice Award, Mom’s Choice Gold, Creative Child Magazine’s 2013 Preferred Choice, Academic’s Choice Smart Media Award and the Mr Dad Seal. The double album received dozens of great reviews from Mommy Bloggers.
The album is truly special and unique for the following reasons:
- Contextualized in a magical story about all of nature coming together that encourages children to be creative and imaginative
- Features 70 artists spanning four generations from 8 year Lala to 73 year rock legend Lester Chambers
- Showcases 30 amazing kids, many of whom have amazing stories (e.g., Lil JaXe stutters when he talks but not when he raps, Amanda Raya is blind, Avalon Theisen started an environmental organization to protect frogs at 9 years old)
- Inclusive and culturally relevant featuring artists from the many backgrounds including Indigenous, Asian (Chinese, Japanese and Indian), Latino, African American, and Caucasian.
- Gender BALANCE between male and female
In July 2014, Pacha was featured in the video invitation for a Global Youth Initiative called We Are ALL Connected as well the instructional and practice videos. BALANCE also released the The We Are All Connected Album, which received the Academic’s Choice Smart Media award.
In 2015, BALANCE released its self published animated book, A Story Written By Nature and five animated videos.
In 2016, the first-of-its-kind Animated Book was published by Morgan James Publishing. The groundbreaking Pacha Alive app brings the book to life with augmented reality. While there have been other uses of augmented reality in books, this is first extensive use of augmented reality for a young reader narrative.
Aaron Ableman, Author
Aaron Ableman (aka A-Natural) is an entertainer, author, and ecologist. He grew up under the guidance of a farmer/author (his father) and a public health care nurse (his mother), studying with Hopi elders, Oxford Rhodes scholars and various spiritual leaders. He has worked with Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Cypress Hill, Raffi, K’NAAN, Joan Baez, amongst many others. From India to Haiti, he has produced educational entertainment programs for at-risk children and youth. His life and work have been heralded in publications such as the Los Angeles Times, CNN, New York Times, Montreal Mirror and San Francisco Examiner and have touched the lives of hundreds of thousands of children around the world! Twitter: @ablemantra
Dave Room, Producer
Dave’s most important identifier is Melia’s Papa. His tween-age daughter Melia is his motivation and inspiration. Since receiving a B.S. and M.S. in Engineering from Stanford University, Room has worked on the innovative edge of a number of emergent fields including yield management, life cycle costing, environmental performance measurement, intranet development, ecommerce software and renewable energy. In the process, he had leadership roles in several tech startups and a non profit he co-founded called Bay Localize. Several years into Bay Localize, Room realized that their message was not getting to enough young people, people of color and mainstream thinkers, so he added storytelling and solo theater performance to his bag of tricks. Several years later with the intention to uplift tens of millions of children worldwide, Room co-founded BALANCE. Dave is a Green For All fellow. Twitter: @meliaspapa
Animated Book… What’s That?
Pacha’s Pajamas is Nutritious Children’s Entertainment
Do the Connected Dance “We Are ALL Connected”
The World’s Wildest Evolution of Dance
I Didn’t Know that Platypus Could Dance
Use What You Got
LYRICS AND AWARDS FOR A STORY WRITTEN BY NATURE
11.24.14 Academic’s Choice Smart Media Award
02.2014: First Place in Songwriting for Eco Arts Award
11.2013: Academic’s Choice Smart Media Award
11.2013: Creative Child Magazine’s 2013 Preferred Choice
11.2013: Mom’s Choice Gold
11.2013: Mr Dad Seal
10.2013: Family Choice Award
10.2013: People’s Choice in the 12th Annual Independent Music Awards
06.2013: Parent’s Choice Recommended Award
MIXED REALITY INTERVIEW TOPICS
- Pokemon Go for Learning: How can Augmented Reality transform how we learn?
- The Future of Books: with Augmented Reality,we can not only read books but experience them
MIXED REALITY INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
- What is Augmented Reality? What is Virtual Reality? What is Mixed Reality?
- How can Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality be used inside and outside classrooms for education?
- What does the research say about using augmented reality and virtual reality in education?
- What are the downsides of Augmented and Virtual Reality for children?
- What is an Animated Book?
- What is the process for creating an Animated Book?
- What makes your Animated Book distinct? What design standards did you use to make your Animated Book?
- Why do think Mixed Reality are the future of illustrated print media?
- Can you help other authors and publishers animate their books?
SAMPLE INTERVIEW TOPICS
- Is Disney ruining kids? Why we need nutritious children’s entertainment that supports the healthy development of today’s kids
- Beyond the Hero’s Journey: How the Stories we Tell can Support a Planetary Awakening
- Engaging ways to Teach Kids about Climate Change and Environmental Issues
- Helping Kids Discover their Gifts and Bring Them to the World through Stories
- Developing Youth Leadership through Edutainment
- How can the stories we tell change a culture of violence to peace?
- Reconnecting kids with nature through stories
SAMPLE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
- What’s was biggest challenge when writing this book
- Was it easier or more difficult to co-write the book?
- Who inspired the character Pacha?
- You are both successful entrepreneurs. It’s very clear that this project wasn’t primarily for monetary gain, so what was your goal when writing this story?
- How do you think your experiences have influenced Pacha’s narrative?
- In promotions, you refer to Pachas Pajamas as a project rather than simply a book? Why is this so
- What lessons do you think kids can learn from this book?
- Is there anything that adults can get from this book?
- Why do you think environmental awareness is a crucial thing to teach children?
- Out of all of your occupations, which one do you think prepared you the most to complete this novel?
- What does it mean to say Pacha’s Pajamas is an awakening story?
- What is an animated book
- Why is there a dream journal at the end of the book?
- What’s the next story in the series?
- What are Pacha’s Priorities?
- I see there are lyrics for 10 songs in the book. Tell me about the music.
- How does the book promote youth leadership?
- How are climate change and environmental issues addressed in the project
- What is Pachamama?
- How can this book be used in a school or enrichment program setting?
03.15.15 Huff Post – Pacha Pajamas Cartoon Makes Green Moves Across the Globe
11.14.14 Pajamas Get Interactive with Pachamas
09.17.14 Forbes – Interactive Pajamas: The Next Thing in “Wearables?”
08.06.13 Fans Select Winners In The 12th Independent Music Awards Vox Pop Poll
03.28.13 Pacha’s Pajamas Review by Indie Music Digest
02.26.13 ‘Big Time Rush’ Star Kendall Schmidt & More At Launch Of ‘Pacha’s Pajamas’
12.17.12 Product Review: Pacha’s Pajamas Vol. I Soundtrack (8-12 Year Olds)
04.19.12 Treehugger – Mos Def Sings About Butterfies/Trees in New Children’s Project
01.10.12 MTV – Mos Def And Talib Kweli Make Beats For Environmental Children’s Book